Racing Returns At The Gardens
Participants who have greyhounds entered to race at The Gardens on Friday and Saturday night will be able to scratch their greyhounds and not incur a 10-day incapacitation period.
The decision was made by Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW) due to the delay to the planned trial session that was to be held at The Gardens this week.
Trialling was initially scheduled to take place at The Gardens on Tuesday but was delayed and instead occurred on Wednesday morning.
Racing returns to The Gardens this week after a redevelopment of the track surface was undertaken.
The work was commissioned in order to rectify a number of legacy issues that were limiting the ability to maintain and adequately prepare the track. The project was co-funded by Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW) and the Newcastle Greyhound Racing Club.
Work undertaken included:
• The removal of the existing track sand;
• The reforming and consolidation of the track base and replacement of geo-fabric;
• Installation of sub-surface drainage;
• Placement of 1500 tonne of new track sand;
• Raised the height of the 400m starting boxes to accommodate an increase to the track cambers and grade at the first turn;
• Installation of a new starting box awning at the 400m for trainers and greyhounds;
• The replacement of grass matting at the 400m and 515m starts; and
• Amendments to the catching pen and return gates.